The Nature Conservancy is offering a $1,000 reward for information on who was responsible for starting a fire last week in the Nags Head Woods Ecological Preserve.
A statement by the Conservancy, which owns and manages the preserve, said the fire was touched off by people but did not indicate if the incident might have been malicious. The area includes several walking trails as well as scattered pieces of private property and homes.
N.C. Forest Service Law Enforcement Supervisor David LaFon made the determination on the cause, the statement said. Call in tips to LaFon at 252-312-4367 or Dare Community Crimeline at 252-473-3111. You can also go online to http://www.darecommunitycrimeline.org.
The fire started last Tuesday and was contained three days later. Low humidity and wind complicated the effort.
About 240 of the preserve’s 1,100 acres burned, but the fire was limited to marshland and swamp forest along the Albemarle Sound.
The Forest Service led the effort, and the Conservancy cited the help of several organizations:
“The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Air Force, fire departments from Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Duck, Colington and Manns Harbor along with the Roanoke Island Volunteer Fire Department worked the fire.
“Dominion Power cooperated with the effort, shutting down power in the Preserve to all to improve safety for firefighters, and the Marshall Tillet family allowed its farm to be used as a staging area. Kelly’s Restaurant and the Outer Banks Brewing Station provided free food for firefighters.
source: Rob Morris, Outer Banks Voice